Thursday, February 14, 2008

Love, Love, and Love

I like lots of things, but there are three things I like most...love, love, and love." -La Dolce Vita


Don't think it has escaped my mind that the last several blogs I've written have been, well, rather negative. In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I will blog today only about that most positive of all positives in the world: love.

I am lucky that I have such amazing creatures in my life to love. Here is a completely random compiling of those I am fortunate enough to have great love for. This is a totally arbitrary and casual list. If you don't find your name on here and are a key player in my life, don't feel offended if your name doesn't appear. These ten names are simply the ones that float to my mind at this moment.

I've often felt my emotions and convictions to be rather small. But I've also always thought the only larger-than-life feeling I possess with every fiber of my existence is my ability to love. These ten beings, in no particular order, whether they like it or lump it, are objects of my intense, crazy, passionate, unconditional love.

10. Rupert, Fergus & Claire.
Three animals that have changed my world. To me, they embody grace and affection, forgiveness and good humor. They made a father out of me and taught me the meaning of unconditional love.

9. My family. Our road has not been an easy one, but they drive me, challenge me, humor me, infuriate me, and support me. I adore them.

8. Phyllis, my mother-in-law. She is the personification of class, elegance, and wit. Just being in her presence elevates me. I treasure her.

7. My two Katies: Kat and Caety D. Not a day goes by I don't feel their love and raucous humor from across the miles. These ladies have gotten me through some of the most trying times of my life, and they are never far from my mind and always in my heart.

6. Tony. The calmest, most generous person I've ever met. He is not just a friend. He is a mentor. I look up to him with respect and pride. Should I ever grow out of my 31-year awkward phase, I want to be just like him.

5. Molly. She is the first writer I've ever met whose voice on paper is exactly the same as her voice in "real life". There's no discrepancy between who she is as a writer and who she is as a human being. Her authenticity and sincerity are eternal lessons for me.

4. Steph. Because her heart is an organ of pure fire and she brings light to my life, a life that is always in danger of slipping under into darkness.

3. Josh. After eleven years apart, he found me again, and we've reestablished a much-missed friendship. He is the poet of my spirit.

2. Edith. My dear friend, my guru. Her guidance is palpable in every step I take. I admire her for reasons that are difficult for me to put into words. Suffice it to say, she inspires me.

1. John. I could write forever about why I love John, but let me just say this: "My life without you would be a place of parched and broken trees." (Mary Oliver)


Happy Valentine's Day, one and all.


No comments: